With the FileSytem Plug-in
now finally I am able to
generate complex FileMaker
forms as MS-Word documents!
After all, this is a standard
feature in many Windows
allowing my users to design
their own layouts freely and
A unique feature and a
valuable selling point!
The same is true for the
MS-Word text analysis
functions, they are just what
my text-working clients need.
The multitude of other
functions rounds off this
Plug-in, making it an
in my FileMaker solution.
Translation & Software
||FileSystem Plug-in 1.6
Details | Functions | Download | Purchase
What can the FileSystem Plug-in do for you?
This plug-in includes the functions of several existing plugins and is an all-round talent for many tasks, providing FileMaker with a wealth of external information.
The 72 functions enable you to:
gain access to the Windows file system
gain access to file and folder dialogs
gain access to drive information
gain access to the country settings in the Windows Control Panel
gain access to operating system information
gain access to the Windows registry database
exchange data with Microsoft Word files
Access to the Windows file system
The file and folder functions of FileSystem Plugin enable you to execute, create, print, copy, move, delete and rename files and folders, as well as to return and modify the attributes of files and folders on the computer and in the network.
On top of that the paths to 41 Windows system folders can be retrieved. You can read the contents of other files into FileMaker as well as write and append FileMaker data to other files. Besides, you can verify whether a file exists, is executable or is currently in use.
With the FileSystem plugin you can now simulate the Windows Explorer, displaying the hierarchical order of files, folders and drives within FileMaker files and access these objects within FileMaker.
You are therefore in a position to build a relational File Management System, including an integrated backup system. You can now use your database application in the creation, administration, version management, indexing, archiving, retrieval and distribution of documents.
You can create multiple relationships between documents/correspondence files and customer, project, team, or other related records in a FileMaker database, manage those files and build a system of resubmission.
Thereby from within your FileMaker application you can now open, print, search and create files and folders using data from FileMaker records and interactive dialogs - on the local computer or throughout the network. (The plugin is also capable of delivering data from FileMaker Pro to bookmarks and mail merge fields in Microsoft Word documents.)
So from within your FileMaker application you are now enabled
- to read and modify file attributes and file properties, as well as file system information,
- to convert file and folder paths as well as file extensions,
- to search a volume (disc) for files or folders in a folder and in sub-folders of the file system and read their paths,
- to execute, create, print, copy, move, delete and rename files and folders,
- to verify whether a file exists, is executable or any user on the computer or in the network is using a file,
- to read and write file contents,
- to retrieve the paths to 41 Windows system folders,
- create shortcuts may be it on the desktop, in the start menu programs folder or in any other folder on the hard disk,
- retrieve folder size and the number of contained files and (sub-) folders.
- convert text formatted in the internal FileMaker format to text formatted in the format of the current operating system and reverse.
Access to file and folder dialogs
The Dialog functions of the FileSystem Plugin enable you to select files, folders, computers and printers from folders and files on the computer and in the network.
You can use the results returned by the Dialog functions for further functions, e.hg. to create, open, copy, delete and rename files and folders, to read and change the file attributes, file properties and file contents…
All dialogs are presented in the new dialog style, are resizable and enable drag & drop, creation of new folders deletion, and further context menu calls.
The Professional edition allows you to customize the design and functionality of a dialog window and to define a working directory for use in the dialogs.
Access to drive information
The drive functions of the FileSystem Plugin return a variety of information about drives on the computer and in the network:
- Drive letters of all local and virtual drives, UNC paths of all available network drives, drive letters of CD drives,
- The total number of all local drives, CD drives,
- Determine if a local or network drive is mounted,
- Type of file system, free disc space on a drive, serial number, volume label and maximum number of characters a path or file name is allowed to have,
- Change the label of a local volume,
- Load and eject (close and open) as well as lock and unlock ejectable media like CD drives and removable media.
Access to the country settings in the Windows Control Panel
Not only the language differs from country to country, also date format, monetary symbols and separators do.
With the FileSystem Plugin you can retrieve these locale settings, and/or the region and language options defined in the Control Panel.
You can access up to 66 different types of settings. Among these are the name of the active language and the name of the country in the native language as well as in in English, the short and long date format, the names of days and months in the native language, separators and monetary symbols.
There are numerous situations where it is highly useful to know one or another setting. A very obvious example is a multilingual application. Here it is first of all inevitable to retrieve the current language during program start, as well as to adapt the displayed date and time formats in your FileMaker files to the settings in the Control Panel.
Access to operating system information
- Get information about the installed Operating System and Service Packs, Major Version, Minor Version, Build Number, Platform-Id, Product Type, Suite Mask,
- Get information about shell objects (files/folders/drives): displayed name, executability and tasks the object allows to be carried out,
- Get IP address, host name, NetBIOS name and user name,
- Retrieve a new GUID (globally unique identifier). This is guaranteed to be unique throughout the world (38-digit designator).
Access to the Windows Registry database
The Registry functions of the FileSystem Plugin enables you to read, create and delete Registry keys and entries.
You can read and create simple strings, zero-terminated strings (Multi-SZ), expandable strings, numbers and binary data from the Registry.
This enables you to get access to various system settings, for example to rietrieve the name of the current user, printer, installed fonts...
You also can rename the files of your FileMaker application with another file extension and register it in the registry database, so that the files in future are opened always with FileMaker.
Data exchange with Microsoft Word files
The FileSystem plugin enables you to read contents, statistics and revisions from Microsoft Word files, and to deliver data to bookmarks in Microsoft Word documents:
- Read the real contents of a Word file into FileMaker fields,
- Retrieve the statistic information about a Word file: number of characters in main story, empty characters in main story, control characters in main story, numerals in main story, characters in footnotes, characters in footers, characters in headers, characters in comments, characters in text frames, words in main story, words in numbers in main story, words in footnotes, words in footers, words in headers, words in comments, words in text frames,
- From revisions in Word files you can obtain: author, date, time, text inserted/deleted, number of characters, number of words, text of the revision,
- Create and open new Word files within FileMaker and deliver FileMaker data to bookmarks in Word documents. The Plugin offers the option of working with either Word files (.doc) or with Word templates (.dot). You can save the files under a new name and manage them from within FileMaker,
- Create mail merge letters, address labels, envelopes or catalogs with data from FileMaker in MS Word,
- Execute Word macros (VBA procedures) in Word documents.